EATING IN PUBLIC - creating systems of anarchist practices to unfix identities and borders since 2003

Sunday, November 14, 2010

Drama at Hawaii People's Fund Annual Dinner



EIP, as a Hawaii People's Fund grantee, was invited to show our wares and join in at their Annual Dinner this past Saturday. A table display was readied for the pre-dinner showed and tell. During the dinner I also collected beverage empties as attendees finished them - done both as a performance of uncanny labor as well as a way to pragmatically channeling the remains of the $5/$6 beers to the needy just outside the building.

Toward the end of the night, one of the caterer's bartenders made me to stop collecting bottles. I told her the collecting is a part of a HPF supported project. She said it doesn't matter because the bottles belong to her boss. I said I thought that when we purchase a beer for $5/6 we got the bottle with it. She said, "No, just the liquid inside." That they recycle and the money redeemed belongs to her boss. They even took all the ones I collected back.

The redemption price of all the bottles I collected couldn't have been more than $5. Even me alone tipped them more than that last night.

There you have it. The middle man once again shows her face. Ever ready to defend the big man.

No comments:

Post a Comment